There are seven Key Learning Areas taught from Kindergarten to Year 6:
- Religious Education
- Science and Technology
- Human Society and Its Environment (HSIE): History and Geography
- Personal Development, Health and Physical Education (PDHPE)
- Creative Arts
NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) develop syllabus for each of the Key Learning Areas except for Religious Education, which is set by the Diocese. Click here for the link to the Parents’ Guide to the NSW Syllabuses from NESA.
Religious Education: The practice of our faith is central to our Catholic identity. Therefore we value opportunities to gather as a parish school community. Students regularly attend Masses at St Augustine’s Parish church. Feast days as well as special celebrations like Mothers’ Day and Grandparents’ Day are celebrated as a whole school and each cohort attends Mass twice a term. The Sacramental program is Parish based and families are invited to contact the parish office for enrolment details.
Music is a key part of our school and all students have lessons with our specialist teacher once a week. In addition, students may elect to be part of the following:
- School choirs. Students from Year 3 to Year 6 can elect to join a choir. These choirs perform for school and community events, including the Coffs Harbour Eisteddfod.
- Instrumental music lessons are available during school hours with a number of specialist music tutors. An additional fee applies to this program.
- School band is open to instrumental music students who have achieved an appropriate level of competency playing their chosen instrument.
The use of technology is an integral part of learning at St Augustine’s and is embedded in all Key Learning Areas. Every cohort has access to laptops and iPads to facilitate access to a variety of online learning platforms. Students in Years 5 and 6 may bring their own device to use during school time for learning but it is not compulsory.
Every learning space has an interactive whiteboard or Smart TV. Interest groups and lunchtime clubs involving technology include Robotics, Coding, 3D Printing, Photography and Minecraft.